Ryan Gosling Workout for Crazy Stupid Love

Ryan Gosling Workout for Crazy Stupid Love

Ryan Gosling Workout

Ryan Gosling certainly did an exceptional job muscling up for his role in the upcoming movie, Crazy Stupid Love. This is probably the most muscular Ryan has ever been in his life. You see Ryan Gosling is naturally pretty skinny and that is evident in most of his early movies. In fact when Ryan Gosling was getting ready for the movie The Notebook he pretty much just ate a lot of food and worked out a bit. For most people if they were to follow that regiment they would end up looking pretty soft.

Here is what Ryan Gosling looks like naturally (remember the titans)

Ryan Gosling Workout for Crazy Stupid Love

As you can see Ryan Gosling used to be very skinny and probably had the metabolism of a race car. Many teenagers curse having a fast metabolism (also known as hardgainers) because they find it difficult to gain weight. If only they knew that the perfect physique was one that was lean and muscular. Not that of an Offensive Lineman or an offseason bodybuilder.

How Ryan Gosling went from Skinny to Buff

Ryan Gosling added solid muscle to the right areas. He packed on muscle to his chest perfectly especially his upper chest. This is what creates the line running from the bottom of his chest up to his collar bone. In addition his shoulders and arms look well built and proportionate.

Ryan Gosling Workout for Crazy Stupid Love

As well his legs look defined and not too big. A lot of guys looking to build muscle follow bodybuilding routines that emphasize large amount of volume towards the legs. They are told that the testosterone release from training legs will help add overall mass. What ends up happening is they add way too much size to their legs and it takes away from their upper-body. My guess is that Ryan Gosling stuck mostly to High Intensity Interval Training to tone his legs up and burn fat.

Putting it Together

1. Emphasize upper chest – Incline Dumbbell/Barbell Bench Press, Incline Flyes, Barbell Floor Press plus flat presses/flyes and dips to complete the chest

2. Stick to intense intervals for the legs – Sprints, Hill Sprints and 30 second to 1 minute intervals

3. Stick to Pull ups and rows to create the V taper

4. Build up the shoulders with a lot of volume and variety – seated dumbbell presses, lateral raises, front raises and rear delts

How many sets and reps did Ryan Perform Gosling Perform?

For muscle building the best rep range is the 5-12 rep range. The lower end of the spectrum will help you build dense muscle. The higher end of the spectrum will add quick muscle size gains via sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. The key is to keep the total volume per exercise around 30 reps. So if you perform 5 reps then you must do 6 sets. If you are performing 8 reps then you must perform 4 sets.

Workout to build a body like Ryan Gosling

Day 1 and Day 4- Chest, Back & Abs

Incline Bench Press: 4 x 8 reps

Pull ups: 4 x 8 reps

Weighted Wide Grip Dips: 3 x 10

Cable Rows: 3 x 10

Hanging Leg Raises: 3 x max reps

Plank: 5 minutes total (as many sets as it takes)

Day 2 and Day 5 – Shoulders, Arms and Intervals

Seated DB Shoulder Press: 4 x 8 reps

Lateral Raises: 3 x 10 reps

Bent Over Rear Delts: 3 x 10 reps

Standing Dumbbell Curls: 4 x 8 reps

Skull Crushers: 4 x 8 reps

HIIT – 30 second sprint on treadmill or bike / rest 90s seconds and repeat for a total of 16 minutes

Optional – 10-20 minutes of steady state cardio (if you need additional fat loss)

Days 3, 6 & 7 = rest days

Ryan Gosling Height, Weight and Body Fat Percentage?

Ryan Gosling is 6’1 and around 180 lbs in Crazy Stupid Love. His body fat percentage is probably around 10-12% which is considered cut. He is still holding a little bit of fat around his lower stomach. This fat is covering up his last two abs. I personally think he would look even better if he cut 5 lbs of fat. This would take him from the ‘cut’ category into the ‘defined’ category. An example of someone who is in the defined category is Christian Bale in the movie American Psycho. After the ‘defined’ category comes the ‘ripped’ category. Very few people reach this state and one example of someone who is in this category is Ryan Reynolds.

Ryan Gosling GQ Look

Ryan Gosling Workout for Crazy Stupid Love

Ryan Gosling successfully added muscle while still having the crisp GQ look. This is what guys should strive for at the gym. Not to look like a big puffy pumped up bodybuilder. The sleak GQ look is really what girls find most desirable. My friend Rusty Moore has the top muscle building program for building the lean and muscular physique that still has the GQ type look.

—-> Visual Impact Muscle Building (below is a video I made after completing all visual impact phases)

Check out more style and fashion tips inspired by Ryan Gosling from the movie Crazy, Stupid, Love on Kinowear.com

–> Ryan Gosling Fashion Tips

Additional Resources

How to Gain Muscle & Lose Fat

Ultimate Fat Burning Workout

V Abs Workout

Christian Bale American Psycho Workout and Diet

click me

Comments

1. Jimmy says

Hey nice post, About how many pounds of muscle would a skinny guy have to add to achieve a body like Ryan gosling in this movie?

• admin says

I would say around 15 lbs of muscle. However when people gain 15 lbs of muscle they usually gain around 25 lbs total (10 lbs of fat) plus a lot of the muscle goes to their legs and butt.

If you can build 15 lbs of pure muscle with even development across your entire body it will have a dramatic effect on your appearance.

• admin says

The key to doing this is tracking your body measurments – waist, shoulders, chest, arms and legs.

Your goal is to increase your shoulder, chest and arm measurements without your waist increasing in size. If your legs are skinny you probably want to add a couple inches to your legs too.

2. Jimmy says

can you gain the 15 lbs of muscle without gaining the 10lbs of fat and whats the best ways to not increase your waist size when trying to increase your chest, shoulder, and arm measurements.

3. Jimmy says

You said build 15 pounds of pure muscle? What doe you consider Pure muscle. Is that Muscle, Water, and Glycogen, Or is that just dry Muscle?

4. says

To me, even though he did a great job putting on muscle… in that first picture above, he looks disproportionate. To balance out his longer chest area and wider misdsection, he should probably work on his shoulders a little more to get more of that V taper. Great post though.

5. says

While he did a awesome job at putting on muscle, he looks a bit disproportionate to me in that first photo… Should work on broadening his shoulders to offset his long chest and wider mid-section. Great post though!

6. says

Good how you outlined Ryan’s workout.
    He seemed to do very well without the temptation of doing too much volume, which is hoe I prefer to workout these days, especially as I get older it helps a lot in recovery.
    He seemed to be proportional very well of someone his height!
    Raymond

7. Marcus says

Hey Greg. I just wanted to know somthing. I know 2-6 reps is for strength So on the incline press W/ DB i use 30lbs cuz i dont have 25s and 20 is too light but for 30s i can only do 6 reps then like 4.5 reps and then 2 reps on my third set. Do i just do max till i can do 3×6 or wat do u suggest. I dont have money for 25s btw. Thx

8. Jimmy says

Hey Greg whats the best workout program that I can use to gain the 15 pounds of lean muscle since I’m king of skinny to get a Ryan Gosling body or a Justin Timber ake body he had in friends with benefits?

9. JTP says

Hey Greg, this workout is great. What weight to failure rule do do you recommend? Should the same concept in the Justin Timberlake program be applied – i.e. choose a weight to complete the required rep range that leaves ‘one rep left in the tank’?

cheers

• admin says

Yes exactly! I usually like to leave one rep in the tank for pretty much all my sets. This allows for better strength gains because you don’t drain your nervous system. If your feeling it you can go all out on the last set.

10. T says

I feel for the guy, it can’t be easy to work in an industry where someone like Ryan Reynolds has set the bar so high in terms of the ideal male physique. I think Ryan Gosling looks really good. So he’s not as chiseled as some of his male counterparts…that’s not to say he’s looks horrible either. As much as I admire the displicine of Ryan Reynolds and what it entails to look THAT chiseled, I’ve heard him speak in many interviews and he comes off as kind of a goofball IMO (sorry!). And honestly? – facially, he’s not that good-looking. I think Ryan Gosling’s appeal is that he’s the ‘total package’ – very, very good-looking with a good body and a nice personality. Not everyone is meant to be that completely ‘carved’ like Ryan Reynolds nor should they be. It’s funny how guys in Hollywood are feeling the pressure just like girls to be ‘perfect’. And it’s weird how other guys ‘rate’ other guys (their physiques) which is something that I previously thought only women were guilty of.

11. Unhappy says

Admin,
    I just got home from watching Gosling’s new movie with the wife and I must say that it was impressive seeing that skinny actor get toned. I ran into your posts after searching how Gosling prepared himself for this movie. I must say that after watching that movie, it inspired me to work out. I already run three miles three times a week but I know that’s not enough. I am seriously overweight (I’m 5′ 10″, 240 lb.) to the point that my doctor predicted a short lifespan for me if I don’t get healthy. I see you gave great tips for guys who seem to work out routinely than me. What do you advise for guys like me start to do? I want to look great for my wife. She is also concerned about me. (Sorry for getting all “Dear Abby” here)

• admin says

@Unhappy

Hey unhappy. The most important thing for you is to get your diet handled. After your diet is under control then I recommend adding in strength training and daily walking of 20-40 minutes.

Weight Loss is 90% diet.

12. Luke says

I am really blow away by this approach; so do your legs get enough of a workout from running or the cardio portion to where you never have to lift weights with your legs?

• admin says

@Luke

Luke, it all depends on your genetics. For most people 6 months of consistent squats, dead lifts and lunges and the legs reach the ideal size. The trick here is to switch the focus onto intervals and sprints to keep the legs looking athletic and lean not bulky. Depending on your genetics your legs may already be the ideal size or they could be rather slim. If your legs are on the skinny side then keep training them. However if you are happy with the size of your legs then it is perfectly fine to not hit them directly and lets functional sprints and intervals keep them in shape.

13. alex says

Hello, great post!
    I can’t do the cable rows because i haven’t machines. What is the best exercice to do the same?
    Thank-you greg.

• admin says

@Terrence.

2-3 minutes I find is best. If that seems quite long and ur well rested before hand then you can just go and do the set then.

14. Behy says

Hey, Admin.

Isn’t this work-out too short ? especially for chest ! only incline press ?

I’m about 180 cm and 123 lbs. how much I should gain ?

Thanks !

15. Emil says

This is a bit of a off-topic question. But how do i get that Nice skin color Ryan has in crazy stupid love. How much sun should i take in This case?

I hope is alright to ask of This, and i hope somebody knowns my question.

• admin says

@Emil

You will definitely requires some consistent tanning at the salon to get that skin color. Probably two sessions per week lasting 6-12 minutes in a tanning bed or stand up tan. Gradually increasing the intensity or time as your get more tanned. Should take 3-4 weeks to get close to that of Ryan Gosling.

Trackbacks